Friday, December 29, 2006

Call to Me and I Will Answer


Passage of scripture: Jeremiah 33:3

(3) Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.

This verse is so comforting to us during difficult or stressful times. During times of uncertainty or doubt. During times in our lives when we just don't understand why things happen the way they do. This verse is a promise that we can hold onto for comfort and understanding.

God had assured Jeremiah that all he had to do was call out to God and God would answer. I'm reminded of these following verses...

Psalm 145:18, The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth.
Isaiah 58:9, Then you will call and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help and he will say; Here am I.
Matthew 7:7, Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

I know that so often in my life I try to handle so many things on my own. Then when I realize that I'm in over my head, I will suddenly run to God in prayer and beg forgiveness and ask him to fix the mess I've created. Why is it that I wait till I've messed up to realize that I need God? Jeremiah 33:3 reminds me that my God is an all knowing God. He knows the future of my life, He knows all that is going to happen to me and He knows all things that have happened to me in the past. He knows what pressures I'm feeling and what my weaknesses are. He knows of all my successes and my failures. He knows everything about me! If I would just simply call out to God for help, call out to Him for answers to questions and concerns that I have, His promise is that He will answer me. And not only answer me... He will reveal great and unsearchable things that I do not know. His promise is... wisdom and understanding!

You see, God is ready to answer our prayers but He is waiting on us to ask! Of course He can take care of our needs without us asking, but when we ask, we are acknowledging that we need Him. We are saying to God that we need His guidance and assistance. We realize that He and He alone is God and that we cannot accomplish in our own strength all that is His to do. When we ask, we humble ourselves, we lay aside our willfulness and our worry, and we determine to obey Him.

The opposite of Humility is Pride. Pride is such a stumbling block for most of us as Christians. If we would simply realize that life would be so much better for us if we would humble ourselves and seek the Lords direction and guidance in our life. To always admit that we are weak and don't have all the answers, but we know that God does and that he alone will give us the answers that are true and accurate. Obedience is the key to being a good and faithful servant. If we hesitate for one minute in our obedience, then that is disobedience. Oh how I want the Holy Spirit within me to strengthen me so that I will know His leading and respond obediently to His leading in my life.

I guess the most important thing to remember is this... You will never know what it is that God has planned for you during the course of your life, if you don't ever ask! You'll always be stumbling around wondering why things are the way they are. Ask God what you may, and He will tell you great and unsearchable things that you don't know.
Isn't it wonderful to have a relationship with a Lord that knows all things and is willing to share them with us if we would just simply ask for His help?

At Christmas time my children will ask for specific gifts that they would like to get for Christmas. As their Father I will usually go out and try and find the gifts they asked for rather that what I would have probably gotten them if they had not asked. Why would I do this? Because it gives me great joy to give them what they want, and since they asked me, it pleases me to come through for them. How much more does it please God when we ask of Him?

Prayer: Dear Lord, Thank you so much for always being there for me. May I always remember to call on you first for understanding, rather than doing things in my own strength and abilities. Thank You for helping me when I ask for it and thank You for loving me so much that even when I don't ask for help, You are there with me anyway. You never leave me or forsake me. Amen.

No comments: