Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Don't lose Heart


I have a couple of dear friends that are getting up in age and unfortunately they are getting very frail and weak with each passing day. Both are retired associates of mine from work and I pray for both of them often. Each one has their own set of problems with their health. One is suffering from her heart. It's just simply worn out because she has lived for 90 years now and her body is just getting weaker and weaker as each day passes. She is now bed ridden and she's frustrated with the fact that she has to depend on others for her every need, even to be fed and she has always been so independent all her life. My other friend has had several bouts with brain tumors. He's now at a place in his life where it's just not going to get better. He's had all the surgeries he can have and basically he's just trying to stay comfortable for his last remaining days. He's too weak to walk now and his hearing is almost gone. Please keep Alba and Chester in your prayers if you would.

The good news... they both belong to Christ. So someday soon they will be in their new bodies and in their new home where there is no pain or suffering. I'm reminded of a couple of verses that really comfort me as I see my good friends getting weaker and weaker day by day.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18
(16) Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
(17) For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
(18) So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

I take comfort in knowing that as I get older and maybe even get to the point in my life where my outward body is wasting away and deteriorating, I can know that inside I'm being renewed day by day. As I watch my friends and I see them both get weaker and weaker I know that God is renewing them on the inside day by day. It's comforting to know that in our last days as our body starts to breakdown and eventually die, as this is happening we are growing stronger and being prepared for our eternal life. These momentary troubles and suffering is only temporary and the glory of eternal life far outweighs the momentary suffering we're experiencing.

We have to fix our eyes on what's unseen (our eternal home), because if we focus on what is seen, it's only temporary and we'll lose heart. Just remember, this life is only temporary, don't lose heart as your health gets worse, On the inside, God is renewing you day by day and as we get weaker in our flesh, Our Spirit is being renewed so that when we do pass, we pass into eternal life made whole and new.

As I watch my friends get older and weaker each day, I praise God for the inward work He's doing in their lives. What an awesome God we serve. Thank you Lord.

No comments: