Wednesday, February 7, 2007

I Don't Know What to Do!


Verse of Scripture is 1 Kings, 3:7

(7) "Now, O Lord my God, you have made your servant king in place of my Father David. But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties."

This verse comes in the context of God revealing himself to Solomon during a dream. In the biblical era God sometimes communicated with individuals in dreams. God comes to young King Solomon during the night with this message,
1 Kings, 3:5, At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night in a dream, and God said, "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." The reply that Solomon gave we find in our focal verse for today. Solomon is saying he is a new King with the whole responsibility of his Fathers Kingdom resting square on his shoulders. Solomon knows that these people that he leads are God's chosen people and that he needs a discerning heart to know how to govern God's people. But Solomon realizes one important truth... He's young and he doesn't know what to do.

We've all seen or known someone that had to follow in the footsteps of their Father haven't we? The father was successful in business or maybe athletics and then along comes the son and he's forced to deal with the pressures of measuring up to what his Father had done. The same was true with Solomon, but Solomon knew something about his Father David that was key to his success as King. He knew that David, his Father was a great man of God. A man after God's own heart. You see, Solomon knew nothing about the responsibilities of leading these people, but he knew where his fathers strength came from. So Solomon goes directly to the same source... God. He acknowledges that God is responsible for giving him his throne. Solomon has done nothing on his own merit to acquire this political power and he knows it's because of his fathers faithfulness to the Lord that he now has this responsibility.
Solomon was very specific in his statement of his childlike ability wasn't he? "I... do not know how to carry out my duties." In some translations of the bible this reads, "I... do not know how to go and come." Basically, it's a plea for help! Solomon is asking for the skills of leadership, the basic fundamental qualifications for a king. Solomon knew that limited by his own resources he would fail but he knew that God could give him what he needed to reign over Israel and he wisely asked for God's intervention.

Have you ever felt that you were in over your head? Have you ever felt that the opportunity before you was impossible to handle? Have you stressed yourself out worrying how you were going to accomplish the task before you? I think we all have been in this situation at one time or another. Solomon was here as well. God knew that Solomon was fretting and worrying over this situation and He initiated the conversation or prayer. Why do you think God revealed Himself to Solomon? Well it was to remind him to ask God for help! God is saying, I'm right here... "Ask for whatever you want me to give you."
Why do we not ask God for help in the beginning, why are we so stubborn, causing ourselves to worry? Many reasons I guess. We may feel that our problems are small and we don't need to bother God with stuff like this. We may feel we can handle this situation on our own, with a false sense of confidence. Maybe we've only gone to God in the past with our prayers when we needed God to get us out of a bad situation. But there is a lesson for us here! I believe that God wants to be a part of everything we do. He wants to bless you and give you everything you need to be successful, but too often we don't ask for His help. Remember, if we ask for God's help or guidance, then we have just acknowledged that God is greater than our problems and we are trusting that He will deliver us through them. Also God is pleased when we ask for His help. 1 Kings, 3:10 says this... The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this.
Go ahead... ask for God's wisdom and understanding. He's simply waiting for you to realize, again, that you need Him. So the next time you find yourself overwhelmed or stuck not knowing what to do next, ask God, He knows!

Prayer: Dear Heavenly father. I ask for your forgiveness. I know that too often I try and handle things on my own and I only ask for help after I've tried to accomplish it on my own. I praise You for this example that King Solomon has given me. Sometimes I do not know what to do, but I can trust that you always do. May I just be faithful enough to ask for help. Amen

No comments: