Sunday, February 25, 2007

Ask and You Shall Receive

I'm always amazed at how quickly God will use us if we are willing to be lead by His Spirit. After writing yesterdays devotion about "walking in the Spirit" this morning I felt convicted and during my quite time alone with God I prayed for forgiveness for being weak and knowingly fulfilling the lust of the flesh rather than obeying the Spirit within me. As we learned from my last devotion... we are in a war zone! A battle rages on within us and it's a decision of which nature we're going to obey, the flesh or the Spirit. This decision is made moment by moment as temptation presents itself. We know that the only way to have victory over the flesh is to utilize God's strength and power against which there is no law.

So this morning during my prayer time I asked God to use me in whatever way He's wants. I also prayed that I would be sensitive and willing to go or do whatever it is that He wants me to do. The focus of my prayer was for forgiveness and to have a willing and obedient heart for God and His service.

Because of some circumstances that came up this morning after I got to church, I was asked to preach the message this evening for our Pastor due to an unforeseen opportunity that had come up so he would be able to go with our youth to a concert in Nashville. As soon as I was asked... before I even had a chance to answer, I knew that God was at work in presenting me with an opportunity to make a choice. Will I follow His Spirit and say yes or will I say no and satisfy my flesh. Of course I said yes, immediately I said yes. It was after I said yes that I realized that I really have to be careful what I ask for because God doesn't waste time. I kind of chuckled to myself at how fast things happened this morning not long after my prayer.

I guess what I find most exciting is this... God is all about forgiveness and restoration. If I find myself out of His will all I have to do is confess and ask for another chance. God's desire for each of us is to shape us into being a vessel that can be used to further His Kingdom and bring Him glory. If we make the choice to follow His leading, again I say this... we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh (Galatians 5:16) My prayer is that I will spend more time in prayer, in bible study, and in His service.

Thank You Lord for answering my prayer so quickly and thank You for allowing me to be aware and sensitive to Your leading in my life. I love you Lord.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Thank you Steve. You are such an AWESOME man of God.