Sunday, July 22, 2007

The other side of the fence


It seems that things always look better on the other side of the fence. So often we fail to see the great things, the beauty we have right here in front of us because we're focused on what's on the other side of the fence. I'm reminded of two truths when we think about the grass being greener on the other side...


"You have to be careful when thinking the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, because it might just be artificial turf."


"Often when we see greener grass you have to remember what's under it... often that green grass is on top of a septic tank."


Both of the above statements make us aware that things are not always better or even what they appear to be on the other side of the fence. When you find yourself always wanting to go to the other side thinking that things will be better, stop and take a look at your own yard from a different perspective. You might just find, you're where you want to be after all. You just couldn't see it clearly. One things for sure. God has you where He wants you even though you may not see it or even like it. maybe you're there to make a difference in the life of someone else. maybe you are planted where you are for reasons you'll never understand. But if all you long for is the other side of the fence, then you'll miss out on the life you have at home.


The picture at the beginning of this devotion was taken from the other side of my fence. There's a Barn in the middle of the picture, it's difficult to see in the photo, but I can see that Barn from my backyard about the same distance away. Now where I live I'm surrounded by trees and I can't see this beautiful view that you see here in the picture, but by stepping back and looking at my place in a whole new direction and perspective... we'll I don't think I would want to live anywhere else. Sometimes we just have to step back, walk away and take another look at things. It's amazing what we see when we do that. Count your blessing rather than you difficulties and worries, and see the blessings around you that God has given you. You can find the blessings, but it's difficult when you're focused on what's on the other side of the fence.


Psalm 104: 33

I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.

No comments: