Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The greatest gift

1 Corinthians 13:2-4

2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.


Of all the spiritual gifts that God's offers or supplies, they produce very little if they are not acted out with love. God's love is an outward expression to others not inwardly directed to ourselves. God gives us the greatest gift of all, His love. This love when used with His spiritual gifts can accomplish much. Like the verses above tell us, we can have faith that can move mountains but what good is it without love. We can have the gift of prophesy and can understand the meaning of all mysteries, but we're really nothing without God's love pouring through us.
This love God speaks of is for everyone of His children. It's a gift to all, and the greatest gift of all. It's what make the spiritual gifts He gives us useful. Although we all have different gifts, love is available to everyone!

Our greatest challenge is to give love while expecting none in return. I guess the more we become like Christ the more we will show love to others. God's love is patient, it's kind, but it also doesn't envy or boast, it is not proud.

I know in my own life... when I'm wronged or hurt by others, my natural tendency is to hate, to be angry, to become impatient with that person. That's a natural desire that we have. I call it self preservation. But God's love is one of sacrifice, forgiveness, and humility. I know that if I am to be used of God for His will I must allow His love to be expressed through me to others. Not only when it's easy, but especially when it's hard, difficult and seemingly wrong to do so.
The next time I ask myself why should I be nice, why should I forgive, why should I not be upset or angry with this person? I hope that I'm reminded that God loved me enough to sacrifice his Son for me, a sinner, a selfish sinner! That's the power of His love for us, that's the kind of love we have within us as well. If only we'd show it. If only we'd live it!

1 Corinthians 13:13
13And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

No comments: