Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Easter


I love this time of year. After being couped up in the house all winter long it's so nice to see blooming flowers and budding trees and the grass turning green again. Spring time is wonderful. I think it's so fitting that along with Spring time comes new life! What seemed to be dead looking for so many months suddenly shows signs of life! It's a refreshing time of year isn't it?

What does Easter mean to you?
When I was a child I thought Easter was only about the Easter Bunny. Much like I thought that Christmas was only about Santa Clause. We'd dye and color those boiled eggs and place them out for the Easter bunny to hide before us kids went to bed the night before Easter. We couldn't sleep just thinking about maybe catching a glimpse of the Easter Bunny coming into the house and leaving us baskets of candy and goodies and taking the time to hide those eggs we boiled and colored. Then when we'd finally wake up early Easter morning, we'd run to the living room and see what the Easter Bunny Brought us! The rest of the day was a time of family reunions and lots of food and hiding and hunting Easter eggs all day long. It was great!

It wasn't till many years later that I learned what Easter was all about. After being disappointed at realizing and knowing that the Easter Bunny was all a lie... I was even more surprised to know the true meaning of Easter. For many years even after learning that the Easter Bunny wasn't real, I still never heard the true Easter story till much later in life. I mean I knew it had something to do with Jesus, but I really never knew what? I knew it was a religious holiday, but I never knew why or how? You see, unless you are raised in the church or able to attend once in a while, you just don't know! Easter is what you see in the stores, or what you are told. It's very easy to get caught up in the commercial side of the holidays isn't it?

You know, I still look forward to the days when my granddaughter Halle will be old enough to come over on Easter and enjoy a fun time with family coloring Easter eggs and hunting eggs all day long. But I also look forward to taking her to church and answering all her questions when she wants to know what Easter is really all about. I can't wait to tell her about Jesus. I can't wait to show her in the bible how Jesus died on the Cross but then rose to life that Easter Morning so that she can have eternal life if she gives her life to Him (Jesus). My hope for Halle is that she will give her heart to Jesus and make Him her Savior. Then she'll know that from that day forward the wonderful sacrifice and gift that Jesus gave us that first Easter Morning. Then when she looks at the blooming plants and budding trees and green grass she'll know that her life is the same way. She'll never die, but have eternal life through Christ Jesus her Lord.

There's nothing wrong with having fun as a child and enjoying the games of Easter, but what a shame if we go through life and miss the true meaning of Easter. I thank God for sending His Son Jesus to take our place on the cross and giving us the free gift of eternal life!

I love this time of year and the reminder of what Jesus did for all of us! Thank you Lord!

Steve

No comments: