Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Unwanted Child


Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair. We'll, let me say that another way... Life is not fair! Bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people. We ask ourselves why? We're confused because if God is truly a God of Love, why would He allow things to happen to us that hurt us or our families so much?

I have the same questions for God. I'm angry at times that God has allowed my son to become addicted to drugs. I'm hurt and deeply saddened at the pain and suffering this addiction has caused my family, especially my wife. All the worry, all the sleepless nights, all the courtrooms and arrests, all the financial costs and personal time and effort, all of the different rehabs we tried that in some ways we thought worked but later learned they really didn't much, all of the missed hours from work and the inability to focus on work. My frustration with God affected my ability to worship and participate in church activities. I wanted to hide, I wanted to quit, and I did quit many things because I could not bear being around people anymore. My hopes and dreams were gone, I didn't care about the future anymore, I could have cared less what happened tomorrow, I just wanted to get through today. Why did God allow my son to end up in jail for three years? Why us, Why my family, why me God! WHY!

Then I remember one very important truth... God loves me so much that He sent His Son Jesus to die on the cross for me. That if I will believe in Him I will not perish, but I'll have eternal life.

John 3:16 says this... "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."

So what helps me get through all of this is truly knowing that God loves me so much that He has provided a way for me to live forever with Him. I also know that this world we live in right now is a sinful world. No matter how I live I must understand that the world is full of people that are controlled and or influenced by Satan, and my pain and suffering might be a result of that influence around me. Remember, Satan and his demons roam the world just looking for people to deceive and hurt. If the devil can cause confusion in the minds of people to the point they blame God for their pain and suffering then Satan has been effective in destroying a relationship that person would have with God. Satan wants us to think that God is not really good, we begin to think that if God were good He would never allow something so bad to happen to us. Then we think, "Why would God let us suffer if he loved us so much? We begin to doubt God's love for us.

To get past all of this we have to understand that this world we live in right here right now, is really nothing at all compared to what awaits us if we belong to Christ. Sometimes we forget and we think this is all there is! We think that the pain we're going through is too much to bear, but God says... He will never give us more than we can handle. We have to take our problems to God, for there is no problem that God can't handle and take care of for us. We have to trust Him and realize that He is not the source of our pain, He is not the reason for our suffering, He is not allowing this to happen to us because He doesn't love us, He wants us to turn to Him for comfort during difficult times, He wants us to seek His face and allow Him to give us the strength we need to overcome the obstacle's of life. Satan's trying to convince you that God's to blame, but you have to know that God is the answer and that He alone is the only way out.

My favorite verses that have helped me when I'm hurt, suffering and experiencing pain are found in the book of 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

(16) Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day.
(17) For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory,
(18) while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.

It's easy to lose heart and quit. We all have faced challenges in our work or relationships that make us want to throw in the towel and just walk away. Paul though, rather than walking away and giving up concentrated on experiencing God's inner strength from the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 3:16). Don't let pain, suffering, fatigue or even feeling abandoned by someone force you to quit or walk away or even check out. Don't forsake your eternal reward because of the intensity of today's pain. Your very weaknesses allows the power of Christ to strengthen you moment by moment. Our troubles should not weaken our faith in Christ. Even though it's tough sometimes we should realize there is purpose in our suffering. Problems and human limitations have several benefits.

1. They remind us of Christ suffering for us!
2. They cause us to look beyond this brief life.
3. They prove our faith to others.
4. They give God the opportunity to demonstrate His awesome power.

Our ultimate hope when we are experiencing pain, persecution, or suffering is the realization that this life is not all there is - there is life after death! Knowing that we will live forever with God in a place without sin and suffering can help us live above the pain that we face in this life.

To the person that left me your comments yesterday on my last post. You are not an unwanted child! We will always be disappointed by other people throughout our lives. The only One that we can fully trust and to expect to never waiver in His love is God. To prove this to you and me He sent Jesus to provide a way for you and I to live forever in a place where there is no suffering or pain. He knows we experience all those things here, so He gives us eternal life because He loves us so much.

This person that has hurt you so much... I can't explain that to you. I can't explain why it happened, just like I can't explain why the terrible things have happened to my son and my family. But I can tell you this... Tomorrow is a new day, a new beginning. God can give you the strength to go on. My suggestions for you to help you would be to seek Spiritual advice and council from a Pastor or Minster that can help you with your struggles and help answer your Spiritual questions. But trust me on this... Just because those you love have abandoned you or forsaken you, God never will. NEVER.

Hebrews 13:5,6 says... "Never will I leave you; Never will I forsake you." So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"

The answer of course is nothing. Nothing, no one can separate us from the love of God. His love is that strong and powerful. So if you feel lost and confused... turn to Jesus for comfort, seek His face, and you will have peace. I will pray for you as often as I remember you. Don't let this situation take your focus off what's important. True love is found only in Christ and this pain you are feeling will pass. Christ can help if you'll just ask Him to. Run to Him, not away from Him. He is not the enemy here, He is your Savior in this situation!

May God's blessings be upon you, Steve



Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, I pray for this individual that is so hurt and in such pain. Please Lord Jesus let him know that he is loved. He is wanted and needed. Help him to know that you have a wonderful plan for his life and help him to know that You are there to comfort him during this painful time in his life. Lord I know that we are made stronger in our faith through our suffering, but Lord it hurts so much. Please give this person Your Strength to overcome and help him to again feel like he has a purpose in his life, because he does. Thank you Lord, for helping me through all I've been through and all I am still going through. I could not do it without you holding my hand or carrying me when I fall. I love you Lord Jesus! Amen

No comments: