Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Father's Wise Advise


Today I came across Proverbs Chapter 4 during my bible study and this chapter really spoke to me. You see this last Sunday was Father's Day. My son had written me a very touching letter for Father's Day and the jest of the letter was that he wished he had listen more to my advice and council over the years. He shared with me how much he wished he had followed the examples that I gave him as I lived my life and dealt with issues and overcame obstacles as they came my way. Often I would coach my son on very valuable life lessons and give him sound advice based off my life lessons that I had learned or were taught by my Dad as well. Remember I once was his age and as difficult as it may seem to our children, we really do know what they're going through, even though they think we don't. We were young once and often foolish in our decision making. We paid the price for our mistakes and suffered the consequences. So when we give our children advise or council, it would be wise if they would listen carefully and adhere to our instruction. But sadly, quite often they don't. Just like us when we were young, I guess they feel they know best or maybe they just don't understand the seriousness of what were talking about. Whatever it is, our children suffer consequences they could have avoided if only they had listened and paid attention to the advice of their parents.



God's word gives us very clear advise in Chapter 4 of Proverbs. If only all of us would have followed this advice from King Solomon. Maybe we wouldn't be in such pain from the silly or stupid things we do that end up costing us such pain and suffering.



No matter what your age... young or old. Listen to your Father! Listen to your Parents! Seek their advice and council and obey it. As you read this passage of scripture, I hope you hear the persistent plea to listen carefully and pay attention to our Father's correction. God is telling us the consequences of turning away from our Father's sound advise and instruction will put us in the council of evil. Our Parents advice can save us from much pain and suffering, but sadly we often realize it too late. Your parents are not your enemy, they are your greatest allies, especially when we are young.




Pro 4:1 My children, listen to me. Listen to your father's instruction. Pay attention and grow wise,


Pro 4:2 for I am giving you good guidance. Don't turn away from my teaching.


Pro 4:3 For I, too, was once my father's son, tenderly loved by my mother as an only child.
Pro 4:4
My father told me, "Take my words to heart. Follow my instructions and you will live.
Pro 4:5
Learn to be wise, and develop good judgment. Don't forget or turn away from my words.
Pro 4:6
Don't turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you. Love her, and she will guard you.
Pro 4:7
Getting wisdom is the most important thing you can do! And whatever else you do, get good judgment.
Pro 4:8
If you prize wisdom, she will exalt you. Embrace her and she will honor you.
Pro 4:9
She will place a lovely wreath on your head; she will present you with a beautiful crown."
Pro 4:10
My child, listen to me and do as I say, and you will have a long, good life.
Pro 4:11
I will teach you wisdom's ways and lead you in straight paths.
Pro 4:12
If you live a life guided by wisdom, you won't limp or stumble as you run.
Pro 4:13
Carry out my instructions; don't forsake them. Guard them, for they will lead you to a fulfilled life.
Pro 4:14
Do not do as the wicked do or follow the path of evildoers.
Pro 4:15
Avoid their haunts. Turn away and go somewhere else,
Pro 4:16
for evil people cannot sleep until they have done their evil deed for the day. They cannot rest unless they have caused someone to stumble.
Pro 4:17
They eat wickedness and drink violence!
Pro 4:18
The way of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, which shines ever brighter until the full light of day.
Pro 4:19
But the way of the wicked is like complete darkness. Those who follow it have no idea what they are stumbling over.
Pro 4:20
Pay attention, my child, to what I say. Listen carefully.
Pro 4:21
Don't lose sight of my words. Let them penetrate deep within your heart,
Pro 4:22
for they bring life and radiant health to anyone who discovers their meaning.
Pro 4:23
Above all else, guard your heart, for it affects everything you do.
Pro 4:24
Avoid all perverse talk; stay far from corrupt speech.
Pro 4:25
Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you.
Pro 4:26
Mark out a straight path for your feet; then stick to the path and stay safe.
Pro 4:27
Don't get sidetracked; keep your feet from following evil.

PRAYER: Dear Lord! Please help me to to listen to my Father's advice and council. Help me to let go of my pride and always remember that my parents love me and only want the best for me. Thank you for this advice from King Solomon. His words are as true and accurate today as they were then. Please Lord, may we head them and take them to heart. Amen.

No comments: