Monday, November 26, 2007

Homeless... the shattered dream.


Today's passage of scripture...

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

16Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.
17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.
18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

I've often thought about the homeless man I met the other day. I've seen him from time to time around town and I'll think about him of course as I sit in the comfort and warmth of my own home late in the evening. I wonder if he's ok, is he warm enough, has he eaten today? Those thoughts go through my mind. I wonder what it must be like to be homeless and how frustrating that would be. I'm sure everyone has goals and dreams and longs to be successful in their life, and being homeless is most likely not one of those dreams or goals. I guess it just happens sometimes. A series of unfortunate events and there you are. It can happen to anyone I suppose. One things for sure in my own life, things did not go as I had planned or dreamed they ever would. In some areas of my life I've been blessed beyond measure. My career, my parents and sisters, my wife and children, also my health, there's so much to be thankful for and I've never dreamed that these blessings would be so wonderful as they are. Yet there are other events in my life that have caused such pain and suffering and I would have never dreamed or imagined that I would be going through. For instance my sons addition to drugs and the serious consequences of this and the pain this has caused not only himself but the whole family as well. I've watched it drain the excitement of life right out of my wife, not only her but with me as well. We had such dreams for our children. We both praise the Lord for our youngest son and the decisions he's made in his life. What a responsible young man he has become, but with our oldest son the plans or dreams we had for him were shattered due to choices and events that we didn't expect. I Never saw it coming either. It just happened, or at least that's how it seemed. Of course there were a series of events that took place over a period of time but the reality of it is what hits you hard. As your working through it, you think maybe you'll get a handle on it, but then you realize that you can't. It's too deep, too far gone now. There's no going back, only moving forward and pressing on through the mess before us. It's hard and difficult and the tendency is to think back, to return to the dream, but all that does is remind you that it didn't happen the way you had hoped and you go through the hurt all over again. I think it's best to move on, plan new dreams and goal from where you are today. The old ones are gone, but new ones exist. You just have to push past and through the crushed ones laying in your way. These crushed dreams seem to block your view from the new ones, or at least for a while they do. I guess it's because of the morning and sorrow we go through and that takes time to heal.

Back to Jerry, the homeless man I met the other day. I don't know what series of events caused this man to be alone and homeless, but whatever changed his hopes and dreams, I hope he finds the strength to create new ones. I guess that's the biggest obstacle we face in life isn't it? Realizing that this life is not what it's cracked up to be, but it's still a wonderful life just the same. We have to learn to take the expected, with the unexpected. We have to take the joys with the sorrows, we have to take the successes with the failures. At the very least, with Christ, this present life is not all there is for you. The bad things that happen along your journey is only temporary and the end result of a soul that belongs to Jesus, is one of eternal joy and happiness. Our soul lives on in a new body and new home.

This brings me back to subject of being homeless. How do we define homeless? The Webster's Dictionary defines the word homeless this way... 1. Without Home ( a homeless child), 2. the homeless, persons who lack permanent housing.

Our society would label Jerry, homeless. He doesn't have a permanent dwelling place, a place he can call home. But in God's kingdom, who are the homeless? Sure during this time, this current day, Jerry may be homeless by the worlds standards, but by God's standards, if Jerry has recognized that he's a sinner in need of a Savior and he's allowed Jesus Christ to be his Lord, then he's not homeless anymore is he? If the definition is... "a person that lacks permanent housing," then that would be describing those that do not know Jesus as their Lord and Savior. I wonder how many people have drove by and have seen this man on the street and think to themselves, "that poor homeless man," not even realizing that they too are homeless in a more permanent way if they do not know Jesus.

I believe that God will provide for Jerry as a follower of Christ, if not in his earthly tent, then for sure in his heavenly body. But I know that God will not provide for the homeless (those without an eternal home) on the day of judgement. The bible makes that very clear. My hope is that if you find yourself in a situation that you never dreamed you would be facing, that you understand and know that with Christ in your life, it's only temporary. Whatever the challenge, whatever the difficulties, with Christ you'll have victory one day. And if you don't know Christ and your life is going great, your day of shattered dreams is coming. If not here, then in eternity's future. May God allow you to see the truth of this message. May God bless you and may all your dreams come true.

2 Corinthians 5:1-5

1Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, 3because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.


Steve

photo provided by http://www.christianphotos.net/

No comments: