Saturday, August 30, 2008

Another Birthday

Today I turned 48 years old. I didn't even realize it was my birthday till I got to work this morning and opened my email and noticed a Company generated message that said "Happy Birthday." I think this may be the first time that I have forgotten my birthday (is this a sign of old age???) Now I knew that my birthday was coming up because my Mom and Dad had sent me a card a few days ago (Mom never forgets my birthday), but I'd forgotten all about it today. My wife called me today at work and wished me a happy birthday as well since I had left before she'd gotten out of bed this morning. Seems like everyone remembered but me. It seems strange to me to celebrate my birthday anyway. It's like, "Hey look at me I'm still here so you can give me a gift." Why do we give presents for our birthdays after a certain age? I understand when we're young we're counting the years and growing up, but at 48 years? Give me a break. I usually can't even remember how old I am except that I was born in 1960 so that makes it pretty easy to add up the years otherwise I'd never bother to figure it. What do you give a guy for his 48th birthday besides reading glasses? Well my wife figured it out... she got me one simple gift and I love it. She bought me a "Life is Good" T-shirt with a guy happily riding his motorcycle with a big smile on his face. Now that's livin right there!

You know what? Life is good and my T-shirt reminded me of this today. Just the words say it all. I'm so blessed in many ways. I have a loving wife, two wonderful sons, a beautiful grand daughter, Great parents and in laws, loving friends and family. A very good career and a loving church and Pastor. My health is good and I have sound mind (depends on who you talk to) but aside from all that, "Life is especially Good" when it's eternal. The best birthday present I've ever gotten was the gift of eternal life on the day that I was "Born Again." Now that's a birthday worth celebrating is it not? I hope that you too have received the greatest of all birthday gifts... Eternal life through Jesus Christ, God's Son.

John 1:12-13
(12) But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: (13) who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Rissa said...

Well Happy birthday STEVE!!! Praying it was a blessed one!!