Tuesday, May 1, 2007

When God Calls, We Come


How do we respond when Jesus says come follow me. The answer... We follow Jesus! Jesus had just been baptised and then tempted by Satan, then Jesus starts to preach throughout the land.

Mat 4:17
From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near.”
Mat 4:18
As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen.
Mat 4:19
“Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men.”
Mat 4:20
At once they left their nets and followed him.
Mat 4:21
Going on from there, he saw two other brothers, James son of Zebedee and his brother John. They were in a boat with their father Zebedee, preparing their nets. Jesus called them,
Mat 4:22
and immediately they left the boat and their father and followed him.

Every time I read this passage of scripture, I'm always amazed at the way these men simply left all they had and dropped what they were doing and followed Jesus. But then I have to remember who it is that is calling these men. It's God in the flesh! It's not just some man saying come follow me, it's God. When God says come, we come!

Did these men know Jesus? I don't know? Did they know he was the Son of God, I don't know. But none of that mattered did it? When Jesus said come, they dropped what they were doing and they followed. Can you see the power of God in these scriptures? The power of God is so evident here. Jesus didn't ask, "Would you like to follow me?" Jesus said... Come.

Later in the scriptures we read about Peter seeing Jesus walking on the water during a terrible storm. Peter says to Jesus, "Lord if it's you, tell me to come to you on the water." Then Jesus said, Come. And Peter immediately gets out of the boat and walks on the water to Jesus. We'd like to think that Peter in his strength and obedience walked out on that water, but I believe that the only response Peter had at that moment was to come when commanded by Jesus to come.

If God can speak into existence the heavens and the earth and say "Let there be light" and then there is light, then If God tells you to come... you're going to come.

Our obedience to following God's will is not in and of ourselves, it's our response to God's guidance, direction, and commands in our lives. Our prayers need not be to obey Him in following His will, Our prayers need to be... Dear Lord, tell me what you want me to do and direct my path.

Now, what do you think your response would be if Jesus told you to do something. Would it be one of apprehension, would it be one of delay. I don't believe so. Your only response is one of immediate obedience, just like we see in the scripture we read earlier.

Prayer: Dear Lord Jesus, I gave my life to you when you called me to yourself. Lord I ask that you direct my every step, make it clear Lord what you want me to do. In Jesus name I pray. Amen

No comments: