Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What Will Tomorrow Bring?

I'm sorry, I can't answer that question. I really don't know what tomorrow will bring. All we have is the now. Everything else is a big maybe. God willing I'll be here tomorrow and of course I make plans for tomorrow and beyond, but what tomorrow actually has in store for me, or you for that matter, only God knows. I'm ok with that, aren't you?


Some of my favorite verses in the bible are found in Matthew 6:25-34

Don't Worry!
25"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
28"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Since anouncing that I'm leaving McMinnville and begiining work in Murfreesboro, there seems to be a fear of what's to come. I have associates that have anxiety over who their new Supervisor will be. What will he be like? Will he or she be nice, fair, friendly, bossy, or even mean or tough? What will happen now that Steve's gone? My friends at my church have concerns and wonder who we'll get to lead us in music and worship? Things just won't be the same! What are we going to do now that Steve is leaving?

I understand that I have many friends who will miss me and I also have fallen into the trap of worrying about tomorrow and what the future holds, but these verses help me a lot and remind me that there's really nothing to worry about. God's got it all under control. I keep thinking about the great opportunioties that revolve around me leaving and moving on. Think about the possibilities...

1. After 12 years in one location I've about taught all I know. This is a chance to learn from someone else.
2. A change like this gives everyone a fresh start. It doesn't matter what you've done in the past or where you were in your career path, it's a new fresh start. Whoever comes in doesn't know you and you need to remember they're just as nervous about coming in as you are getting them. It will all work out fine and you can start fresh. Think of this as a great new beginning.
3. It's always good to have a fresh set of eyes looking at things. I'm amazed at the things I don't see after being in one place for so long. You begin to walk past things that you shouldn't. A new set of eyes will see things that I didn't and with everyones help some great things can change and make things better than they were before.
4. The church can move forward in the area of music. I'm so limited on what I offer as far as music goes. I can't read music, and maybe God will open this door so that somebody else can come in that can offer more.
5. Since I don't read music the choir doesn't get to practice much and hopefully we'll get someone that can work more with the choir in the future.
6. Maybe God' will send us an instrumentalist, that would be great. The point I'm making is that God can and will take care of us.
7. For me personaly. This challenge before me renews my excitememnt in the businesss. It's good to take on new challenges and new responsibilities. It's keeps us on our toes. We avoid complacency.

One things for sure... With tomorrow comes new life! New beginnings, and chanllenges await us all. We need to embrace the new day. When we get up in the morning, thank God for another day and live it for him! Live for him in your work! Live for him in your church! Live for him and you won't have to worry anymore. God has this amazing ability to provide for all of our needs. Verse 33,34 says it best... 33but seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.

Seek God's kingdom and his righteousness. Live for Christ! So don't worry about what tomorrow brings. Live for Christ and enjoy the new day.

Your brother in Christ,

Steve

No comments: