Sunday, October 21, 2007

An Angusihed Heart


Today during my quiet time I was reading out of the book of Psalm. I couldn't get these verses out of my head and for good reason. The reason I post these verses is because I feel that most likely, there are many people out there that struggle with an anguished heart. What is an anguished heart? The dictionary defines the word anguish this way...

anguished or with anguish: feeling or producing extreme anxiety or torment.

So by definition an anguished heart would be a heart that is feeling anxious or tormented. What causes anguish? The bible teaches us that our sin causes anguish, especially in the area of the God's discipline. Let's take a look at Psalm 38:1-8

Psalm 38:1-8
(1) O Lord, don't rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your rage!
(2) Your arrows have struck deep, and you blows are crushing me.
(3) Because of your anger, my whole body is sick; my health is broken because of my sins.
(4) My guilt overwhelms me- it is a burden too heavy to bear.
(5) My wounds fester and stink because of my foolish sins.
(6) I am bent over and racked with pain. All day long I walk around filled with grief.
(7) A raging fever burns within me, and my health is broken.
(8) I am exhausted and completely crushed. My groans come from an anguished heart.

Wow, did any of this strike a chord with you? They sure did with me. I suppose I'm not the only one that struggles with sin. I have sins in my life that reoccur over and over again. As much as I try, I can not avoid sin. Sin has a way of invading our lives and with it comes regret, sickness, guilt, pain, and anguish! God does discipline his children. Psalm 38 is a psalm of David and he's asking God to remember him, to help him, to not abandon him. I know that's the feeling we can have when we are experiencing God's discipline. The reason for our anguished heart if the by product of our sin. Our health is broken. We are literally sick from how we feel about our sin. We know it's wrong yet we did it anyway. This breaks our health and makes us sick. Our guilt overwhelms us, it's such a burden that we just can't bear it. It's overwhelming! Our sins creates wounds that we suffer from. I like to call them consequences. These wounds fester and stink as a reminder of our sin. We're racked with pain from our wounds or consequences of our sins. We walk around filled with grief rather than joy or happiness. We are totally exhausted! Were crushed. We have no stamina or energy to go on. We groan and moan in our suffering and our heart is anguished.

So what do we do? How do we become healthy again. How do we have joy again? How do we get rid of the guilt and put salve on the wounds of our sin? The answer my friend is to confess our sins to the Lord and ask for his forgiveness. We need to apologize for what we've done. Our sin is direct disobedience to the will of God and that's what makes us sick. We need to tell him we're sorry. We need to confess what we've done, and ask the Lord to help us overcome our sin. When we confess and say we're sorry, we are acknowledging our guilt. We must take responsibility and acknowledge what we've done before we can truly be sorry for it. A true apology suggest that we know we've hurt someone with our actions. God knows your heart. Tell him you're sorry, confess to Him your sins, and begin the healing process that only God can give you. David said it best in these following verses...

Psalm 38: 17-18, 21-22
(17) I am on the verge of collapse, facing constant pain.
(18) But I confess my sins; I am deeply sorry for what I have done.
(21) Do not abandon me, O Lord. Do not stand at a distance, my God.
(22) Come quickly to help me, O Lord my savior.

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father. Please remember me as one of your children. Forgive me for my sins and come to me now O Lord and help me in my time of need. I confess my sins and I'm deeply sorry for what I've done. Please forgive me and restore me unto You. Thank you O God for your love, mercy, and grace. It's in the precious name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

No comments: