Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I do not know you

In The book of Luke Chapter 13 we come across some scripture where Jesus is traveling through the cities and streets on his way to Jerusalem, when someone asks him a very important question. (Luke 13:23 NKJ) "Lord, are there few who are saved?" Another way of putting this question would be to ask; (NLT version) Lord, will only a few be saved?"

Today I wanted to focus on what it means to be known. You see the key to our having eternal life is to be known by Jesus. If he doesn't know you on judgement day, well then you'll be locked outside of his kingdom away from God's love forever. So I ask; "does Jesus know you?"

In my career and my involvement in church and other events around the community, I come across people all the time who know me, but I really don't know them. Has that ever happened to you? Someone comes up and says, "Hi, how have you been?" and even calls you by name, but you just can't place them, you can't remember where you have met them. It was probably at work and they were one of my customers, or maybe at church or a religious function or event. Maybe I met them through my interaction in the community with music? Who knows? But the point I want to make is that just because they know me and know my name and may have even visited with me or heard me speak or sing or teach doesn't mean that I know them.

After this person asked Jesus this question, "Lord, will only a few be saved?" Jesus told them a parable or story that explained the way to heaven or salvation. The way is narrow, meaning very specific. Let's look at the following verses...


The Narrow Way

22 And He went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem. 23 Then one said to Him, “Lord, are there few who are saved?” And He said to them, 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from,’ 26 then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.’ 27 But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’ 28 There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and yourselves thrust out.

So we see now, it's not enough to know Jesus. He must know us! Jesus is the narrow way. He is the specific and only way to have eternal life in God's Kingdom. Please do not make the mistake that so many of the people did in this parable when they thought that to know Jesus was enough. It must be sad for those people to be standing before Jesus pleading and desperately trying to jog his memory in some way hoping that he'll remember them, when they know deep down they never invested a genuine interest before now.

For Jesus to get to know us, we must spend time with him. First we need to recognize that our sinfulness, our lostness, keeps us away from God. We must respond to the leading of His Holy Spirit and say to Him, I don't want to live this way anymore, I want to give my life to you Jesus and make you LORD of my life. It's when we do this, that Jesus knows who we are. We've established a way for a right relationship and over time Jesus will teach us and shape us into his likeness through the power of His Spirit. Then on that day of judgement... because Jesus knew us, we will be locked inside the Kingdoms gates rather than outside! Trust me friend... you do not want to be left outside. Be sure that you develop a first name basis relationship with Jesus. That means... it's personal and intimate.

My prayer for you is that you will known by Jesus. May God bless you,

Steve

No comments: