Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Now that's Faith!

One of my favorite stories in the bible is the story about the Centurions servant being healed by Jesus. I think the reason I like this story so much is because I can relate to it and understand it. Like this Centurion that has been placed in a position of authority, I to have been placed in a position of authority. I was in a position of authority while serving in the US Army, and I'm currently in a position of authority in my retail career. This centurion knew what it meant to be a person of authority and when he went to Jesus to ask him to heal a servant of his, he knew that all Jesus had to do was say the word, and his servant would be healed. He had so much faith that Jesus had all power and authority. This centurion knew that since he was also a man of authority over other soldiers, when he told them to do something, those soldiers did what they were told. They obeyed the one with all the authority. He knew that Jesus only had to speak it, to command it, and whatever he spoke would be done. Now that's faith in Jesus. This kind of faith impressed Jesus so much that he turned to the crowd around him and told them that he had never seen anyone with as much faith, even in all of Israel!

The Faith of the Centurion

1When Jesus had finished saying all this in the hearing of the people, he entered Capernaum. 2There a centurion's servant, whom his master valued highly, was sick and about to die. 3The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant. 4When they came to Jesus, they pleaded earnestly with him, "This man deserves to have you do this, 5because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue." 6So Jesus went with them.

He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: "Lord, don't trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. 7That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. 8For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it."

9When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, "I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel." 10Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well.

Let me ask you... Do you have faith in Jesus? Faith first of all that he can save you from an eternal separation from God's love? Faith that he died on the cross for you and rose again three days later to provide a way for us to be made righteous in the sight of God?
Then why do we worry? Why do we not live in joy and peace? Why do we not take everything to the Lord for his help and guidance? Why? Because our faith is weak.
This Centurion should be an example for all of us. He KNEW who Jesus was and because of that understanding and knowledge there was no doubt in his mind that Jesus could do whatever he said he would do.
You know the bible is full of God's promises, full of his commitments to his believers and followers. Time after time were told in the bible to simply ask in the name of Jesus and it will be given to us.

So what is it you need from God today? What have you asked for that only God can provide? Jesus is just waiting to show you want he can do when you put your complete faith and trust in him. Remember, the Centurion knew the power of Jesus and went asking for help knowing full well that if Jesus agreed to help, then his servant would be healed. Do we have that same expectation? Do we have that same faith?

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, my prayer today is that I would have the faith that this Centurion had in you. A faith that is expectant and confident in you and what you can do. Help me Lord and increase my faith each day as I see you working in my life. Thank you Jesus! Amen.

No comments: