Tuesday, October 9, 2007

God's Peace

Have you ever struggled with having peace? The peace I'm talking about is a peace that calms and comforts you in times of distress or anxiety. We all have those times. Yes the bible says not to worry, but we do because we just don't trust, our faith is weak. As a man of God I'm always disappointed in my lack of faith and my inability to tap into His power and experience God's peace and comfort like I should. You see I know about God's peace, yet I don't always ask for it?

Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

My son has been in jail now for 2/3rds of his three year jail sentence. He is contemplating about going before the Judge asking for early release so he can take care of his daughter. His daughter is now 9 months old and he hasn't been able to hold her. His visitations are through a video monitor screen only and we talk through a phone line to each other as we see each other in the monitor from separate rooms in the jailhouse. Once a week for an hour we see him and we always bring his daughter Halle so he at least can watch her grow and she can see him and get to know him as as well. We've discussed this with an attorney and he says there's a small chance that the early release could be granted, but he's not really very confident that it will happen. My son on the other hand is putting all hopes in this happening.
When we talk on the phone he senses my lack of enthusiasm or hope that this is going to turn out well for him. I just can't seem to help myself and over the last few years my wife and I have been faced with so much disappointment as we went through this sentencing. I'm preparing for the worst, but I'm losing sleep and constantly worried about this meeting in court with the judge and what the outcome will be.

Tonight as I was sitting on the front porch, I realized that I have not even been praying about this meeting. Here I am filling my head with all kinds of thoughts that have been worrying me sick and I have not even taken any of it to God in prayer. As I was reading my bible this evening this was one of the verses I read, and I immediately realized why I have no peace. God's peace comes to me when I pray and petition my requests to God. God's peace transcends all understanding. and will guard my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus. This, is what I need.

It's the only way I'll be able to face the decision that is made. Whether encouraged and happy with the results or discouraged and disappointed with the results. My heart and mind will be protected with God's love and PEACE. A peace that transcends all understanding. I will be praying non stop for God's will in this situation, and of course I'll be asking for God to have my son released early if it's in His will.

Prayer: Dear heavenly Father, I thank you for giving me this verse right at the time I needed it most. Forgive me for my lack of faith and for not taking everything to you in prayer. I've learned that the reason I need to take everything to you in prayer is because no matter how you answer it... I will be ok, because your peace will be with me. Oh, thank you Lord Jesus. It's in the name of Jesus that I pray. Amen

No comments: